2008 South Florida Gluten-Free Cooking Spree

Gluten-Free Cooking SpreeThe National Foundation for Celiac Awareness and CNN Newsroom anchor Heidi Collins invite you to the South Florida Gluten-Free Cooking Spree. This event will be held Friday, November 7, 2008, 7:00pm to 10:00pm., at the South County Civic Center in Delray Beach, FL. The Gluten-Free Cooking Spree combines the medical and lifestyle aspects of celiac disease to educate both doctors and chefs about celiac disease and the gluten-free diet.

What happens at a Gluten-Free Cooking Spree? Top chefs and doctors compete to make the best gluten-free meals! Teams are made up of one chef and two medical professionals. The teams’ efforts will be judged by a panel including a local food critic, the president of the Palm Beach County Celiac Support Group, and a child with celiac disease. There is also an educational panel providing the latest information about celiac disease.

Come and enjoy gluten-free hors d’oeuvres, desserts, gluten-free beer, and wine.

Want to know more? Here’s the website.

This will be my first Gluten-Free Cooking Spree. I spoke with someone who has been to several across the country, and she said they are a blast. Hope to see you there!

About Li

A writer, runner, and Gluten-Free Zealot, I’ve been helping others navigate the gluten-free lifestyle for many years. Life is meant to be enjoyed, and when you’re gluten-free, it’s even better!

This entry was posted in gluten-free, noteworthy. Bookmark the permalink.

6 Responses to 2008 South Florida Gluten-Free Cooking Spree

1. Anonymous says:

Are these fun with multiple intolerances? GF is one thing, but you’re avoiding a lot of ingredients.

DH just got the word from last week’s endoscopy and he’s supposed to avoid dairy and soy too. I’m thinking it might be a fun/distracting thing to do, but he’s expecting it will be more frustration than fun.

Maybe this is just part of his game plan lately – keep your expectations low. I’m trying to get this right; this weekend is our anniversary!

but hey, 5 days GF and he’s feeling better already!

2. Anonymous says:

but hey, 5 days GF and he’s feeling better already!

3. Li loves David says:

Anonymous – “fun” might not be the right word…let’s go with “interesting” instead! It does force you to be more creative. It gets a lot easier as you go along, as does the whole gluten free thing. Kudos to you for helping your DH see the glass half full!

My advice is to stick with basic, naturally gluten free stuff at first. How about steak on your anniversary? Clean the grill first, though. Gluten is in a lot of marinades, or you may have grilled hamburger buns in the past. Or go to a restaurant that does GF – Bonefish Grill is great, if there’s one near you. Go here http://www.glutenfreerestaurants.org/ for more restaurant ideas. Also check out Gluten Free Goddess’ blog (Karina’s Kitchen). She’s also gluten/dairy/soy free, so you can get a lot of ideas. My recipes often contain dairy, so do be careful. I think there’s a dairy/soy free shortening out there, Spectrum, maybe?

I’m glad your DH is feeling better! That’s what makes this whole journey worth it!

4. Li loves David says:

5. Anonymous says:

Ok, thanks for your input! I think we’re going to the spree just to support the cause and check out the scene. May nibble a few GF/CF/soy free items, if not, we’ve got a list of restaurants from the local support group. We just happen to be in town and this is as close as we’re likely to get to one of these events.

6. Anonymous says: