I tried a fresh pear today. I was curious to see a) if I would have a reaction and b) if the raw ones tasted as bad as the canned ones.
Well, I had an immediate oral allergic reaction. Within minutes of taking the first bite of an Asian apple pear (peeled) I had a burning sensation on my lips and blisters on my tongue and gums. Guess I won’t be doing that again! I’ve never had a reaction like that before. A few minutes on Google assured me that oral allergies are common with raw fruits and vegetables. Cooking degrades the proteins that cause the allergic reaction, so I should be able to continue to safely eat canned pears. If I can stand the grit.
And I was surprised, but the raw pear was actually worse than the canned one. Bleah! This one was like chewing on sandy wood. David, on the other hand, pronounced it “delicious”. More for you, Sweetie!
For what it’s worth, it’s been almost 5 hours since the pear, and no gastrointestinal issues. Go figure.
Follow @gf_awesome on twitter.